Child Support & Active Duty

Dear winkjr2u:

Greetings. Yes, I think that you could have had your child support changed when you were laid off, but I must commend you for being so dedicated to your child/children to continue to pay a larger amount. You can contact child support enforcement and ask them to set child support pursuant to the North Carolina child support guidelines. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Good Afternoon,

I have a question concerning my “Child Support” and being on Federal Active Duty with the National Guard. Specifically, I currently pay $840.00 per month for Child Support. This amount was based on what I was making from my previous employer and was not awarded by the court but by what NC Law requires thru her Lawyer. I was laid off from this job 2 years ago and have been paying this amount regardless. However, I am now on Title 32 Activiation with the National Guard for 3 years. My question is, can I have my Child Support amount reduced based on my current Military Status… Is this covered by the “Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act” …

I would greatly appreciate any insight that you can provide to me.