Child Support Calculator

Dear need sanity:

Yes, our child support calculator is correct. No, it is not outdated. What are all the factors…?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hi Janet:

From what I read is that I’ll be entitled to about $900 and change a month. But his lawyer is telling him it will be about $600. This is not factoring child care expenses or medical/dental benefits.

He swears in every direction the numbers I’ve received are wrong. I just want to get the facts straight. Totally combined mo. income will be about $7480. I thought it was about 17% of the income…he thinks what the guidelines say are set in stone!!!

On another note, question: Isn’t it a conflict of interest if his best friend of 37 years is representing him, when in fact in a discussion we had in September 2004, he told me he couldn’t and wouldn’t represent either one of us for this very reason??? He has been a lawyer for about 1 year and gave me lots of legal advice, but then in turn gave my STB my lawyer info…now I’m wondering whether or not I should stick with the guy recommended. Is there any way I can prevent him from representing my STB ex? I was infuriated to know that he broke the trust and confidentiality[V].

Please help!!!

Dear needsanity:

Greetings. The manner in which you provided the information to me does not help. I need the information in the following format:

H gross income
W gross income
Daycare expenses
Medical insurance premium for child only
Number of overnights each parent spends with the child

Now, yes, that seems to be a conflict of interest to me. Have your attorney (or you if you are pro se) send the attorney a letter advising him of the conflict and asking for his response. I would also be clear to him that you do not intend to waive the conflict. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have a question. Is the child support calculator posted correct.

I’m being told that the calculator is outdated. I’ve been going by it for quite some time only to find out that my child support will be almost 300 less than what you have stated?

Can you please clarify this for me? Our total combined gross monthly income is a bit 8K. Your calculator is coming up with $927 and this can be very misleading for those seeking solace on child support.

Thank you.[|)]