Child Support/College Education for kids


Absent his agreement to pay college expenses, he won’t be required to do so. If your divorce situation concludes with a separation agreement or consent order, you can specify how college expenses will be shared by the two of you. That’s your best bet.

David L. McGuire
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

We have 3 kids that will hopefully go on to college. Child support ends once a child reaches the age of 18 or graduates High School. Is there any way to include in the child support or divorce papers or equitable distribution that the father is required to contribute 50% of the cost of higher education? Or do we just have to hope that he desides to do the right thing?