Child Support Interception

If I have a court order for child support that the judge has signed but the full monthly ($1,500) amount has yet to be paid since the date the judge ordered it, would tax interception be an option ( I receive 1,000 monthly, except summer months, which are included in the order, as well)? If so, how would I go about doing that? Are there child support interception forms to fill out for the state of NC?

If your court order is through the county child support enforcement agency, notify your agent that you have not received any child support since the entry of the order. The agent will be able to do what is necessary to hold the paying parent accountable, including garnishment of wages.

If your court order was entered in family court (it did not go through the child support enforcement agency), then you need to file motion for contempt/motion for an order to appear and show cause to seek to hold the paying parent in contempt of court if he/she has willfully violated the court order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

It was entered in family court and then requested to be taken from his employer through child support. I went the show cause route but did not get far.