Refusing to pay child support

We went to court, judge signed off on him to pay child support starting the first of April. Since this was done through our attorneys, and not our local child support office…he has to make payments through the NC child support collections agency… he has yet to pay anything & is refusing to do so. My attorney is not worried about it, wants to wait 30 days for him to be in arrears… is there anything I can do to jump start this process? Can I ask our local child support office to take the case so that way they can garnish his wages?? Some type of enforcement has to be taken here!

If he has not paid child support according to the terms of the order and you believe he is in willful violation, then you can file for contempt against him (called a motion for order to appear and show cause).

Depending in the language of your order, child support may not actually be late until the whole month of April has passed with no payment.

If you entered into a child support action in family court with your lawyers, then child support enforcement will likely not take your child support case since it originated in family court.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.