Child support order doesnt leave enough to live on


Dear adamstj50:

Greetings. You will not be the first paying parent who has been horribly wronged by the court system for child support. Generally, you would know all the expenses prior to trial, but that did not seem to happen for you. I would suggest the following immediate steps to you:

  1. Retain an attorney, as they can get this heard quicker for you.
  2. Make a Motion to Modify Child Support based on a substantial change in circumstances
  3. File a Notice to Deviate from the child support guidelines.
  4. Set this matter for hearing on the first possible court date.
  5. Have all of your costs and expenses ready and documented. Prepare, file, and serve a copy of a financial affidavit on the oterh side.

You must take immediate action since the court has imposed child support on your that is more than 40% of your overall income, including the imposed medical insurance information. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Well I went to court expecting a even ruling and now it looks like I will be living on the streets. The order was made for $517.00 a month in basic support, which is fine I can handle that. However going by the guidelines I have to get healthcare through my employer (because this is automatically considered a resonable cost) well coverage through my employer for a dependant is $352.00 a month. I clear $1330.00 a month. This leaves me with $569.00 dollars a month to pay rent, car payments, food, etc, etc, etc. When I talked with the child support officer he said to bring in what the health care cost would be through my employer and what they would be through another plan. In court the judge said great but you have to file a motion for deviation and come back. What can I do to ensure I have enough money to live on until I can go back to court and hoprfully change what I pay for health coverage? And when does the NC child support guidelines come up for review again, I would like to start a letter writing campaign to have them actually figure in the cost of living to the parent paying support.

Troy J. Adams