Child support schedules

I think this would depend on whether or not your custody and support were decided through the courts or on agreement. If it’s by agreement then you should look closely at the wording. You could also file for primary custody of the two you have currently living full time with you. Then the support amount would need to be determined by the court.
IMHO, you should not be paying for those extras over and above support amount if you have an agreement. Those types of things are included in the support amount. Keep records of anything like this that you do pay.
If your custody and support went through the courts/state, then you should file for modification of custody due to the changes you stated. After this you could file modification of support. Let the state figure it out. Your ex could end up paying you support on the other two…

It should be based on the total number of overnights and Schedule B is usually appropriate for this situation. It will allow you to include the number of overnights.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have three kids, at one time all the children were on a custody split that was the same for all three on overnights. Over time 2 of the 3 children now live with me 100% of the time and the third still is about 40% of the time. Using the state caculator the dollar amounts are provided. How do you determine if schedule A applies to the two full time child at my home and schedule
C for the one that is at my house only 40% of the time? Since I have over 875 nights per year [combine total of the three kids] should not schedule A apply for all kids? I am being asked to still contribute to additonal items for the childs expenses that is with me only 40% above the states recommended support payments [cheerleading etc]. Should the determination of the schedule be based on the total of the three kids overnights, or is it fair to view them differently even though the NC support caculator uses total nights to figure out fees?