Child Support - Step Children




Dear dongraham:

Greetings. No, you do not have any legal right to obtain child support from either your wife or the father of the two children that you supported out of the kindness of your heart. Your wife has the ability to request retroactive child support (in the form of payment for actual expenses) from the children’s father and you are not entitled to any of these funds if she receives them. Sorry … but thanks for the feed back on the website!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Before I begin - I wanted to say this is a super website and has provided me assistance during my separation/divorce.

I do have a question. I know it may be a long stretch, but my soon to be x-wife has two children that she brought into our marriage. We did not request any child support from their fathers because we thought it would cause some problems. We have since had two of our own and I am gladly going to to pay child support for them. My question is, would I have any right for collecting child support for the two step-children I supported for over 5 years? Again, we did not receive any money from their fathers. I am not sure if I have any legal grounds. Oh, I never adopted them, but they did live with me 24 x 7. Hope this is enough information.

Thanks again,