Child Support Worksheet B or C?

I have two children. One lives with me full time, and the other lives with me half the time. Which one would I use? Worksheet B gives me credit for for having my son part time, accounting for the expenses I have when he lives with me. While Worksheet C gives me no credit for the expenses of when I have my son, essentially making my child support more.

If I was to use Worksheet B, where it says “Number of other children”, do I put down the child that lives with me full time, or is that along the lines of “Pre-existing child support” and only counts for children outside the relationship?

Thank you.

Worksheet B would be the correct child support worksheet assuming both children have the same biological parents.

For “number of other children” you put the number of children you have that you do not have with the other parent in which you are trying to determine child support. For example, Mom has 2 children, 1 with Dad A and 1 with Dad B. Mom and Dad A are trying to determine child support for 1 of Mom’s children. The second child whose father is Dad B would be counted in the “number of other children” entry. This is the same for “pre-existing child support.” Only child support obligations that you are required to pay for a child whose child support is not being currently calculated is entered.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you, but I do have one question. Please correct me if I am wrong,
but it sounds like I would not be able claim the cost I am incurring by my
oldest living with me. Besides the insurance I carry for both of them,
housing and feeding my son does come at a cost. Does this not get taken
into account with Worksheet B?

The only reason I ask, is if I put that 1 child is living with his mom, but
don’t put that 1 son is living with me, my child support is substantially
more, than if I were to account for the son that is living with me. I do
have two children, how are they not accounted for under this worksheet?

Forgive me, but you do need to understand that I am quite hesitant to give
the boys’ mom more money than I need to because that money does not go
towards my son. Thank you for your time.

If your oldest child living with you is not the child in which you are calculating child support for, then you would include this in the worksheet under “responsibility for other children.”

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Ms Anna,

Thank you for help with all this. I do appreciate it!