Child support

We had much the same question with the woman who keeps my stepsons. She is elderly and did not want to report any income for fear that would reduce her SS. The attorney told us that this is not a real concern.
You can figure this amount in though because even though it is not tracked, it is still an amount that you pay. They are not the IRS and do not care if that person doesn’t report income. As long as this friend is not caring for more children in her home than the law allows privately there is not a problem. Regardless of this, you will not the one having to answer about not reporting income. I suggest that you keep a record of this however, for your own purposes.

If it is an expense you are incurring for the minor children, then you can include that expense on the child support worksheet. However, if the person who is babysitting is not claiming that income you could be committing tax fraud, you should consult with an accountant immediately.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Question- I use a friend of the family for babysitting during the week, and it is paid on the side and not reported. Should I still type that amount in the child support calculator or not put anything in since it’s paid on the side?

Thank you!