Child Support

Normally child support stops when the child reaches 18 or has gratuated high school. If there’s something in your agreement that states you will pay for college then you could pay the child directly…but I don’t believe that you can if the child is still in high school.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by stepmother[/i] [br]Normally child support stops when the child reaches 18 or has gratuated high school. If there's something in your agreement that states you will pay for college then you could pay the child directly...but I don't believe that you can if the child is still in high school.

Ken Miller

Thanks for your reply…She is 18 and a fulltime college student living at her Mother’s house…She is going to Community College on a grant.

Ken Miller

If she is 18 and going to college on a grant, then you are not responsible for paying child support any longer. Any money from the time she graduated and/or turned 18 would be money that should be directly given to her.

If you work out an arrangement with your daughter to continue helping her finacially until she is out of school, that is between you and her. Your ex has no say or rights in the matter regardless of the fact that she is living in her home, since your child is an adult.

Good Luck!

Child support payments can continue beyond the age of 18 if the child is still in high school and making satisfactory progress towards graduation.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you both for you awesome input!!!..I am gonna go over my agreement after work today to make sure there isn’t something there that would cause me to have to continue support while she is in college and move forward. What is the procedure to stop support so I can just start paying her directly?

Thanks in advance!!!

Ken Miller

That’s a good question. Some of the others may know…
Is there anything that needs to be done to stop child support if it’s being paid directly to the other parent by agreement instead of through the state? I don’t think so if it’s by agreement, but I could be wrong.
For that matter, if a child reaches 18 or graduates high school even with payments made to the state, does that just stop or do you have to file something?

I am paying by payroll deduction to the state of NC which issues the check to my Ex. My daughter turned 18 last March and the support is still being deducted, so I’m assuming it doesn’t stop automatically.

Thanks!!!

Ken Miller

Wow, maybe you should contact the state to see if you they know what you need to do…I’m fairly sure that the money wouldn’t be reimbursed but that may be something that you are worried about anyway.

The child support should stop automatically, but you may be lost in the system. You should call child support enforcement and let them know you are still being garnished, that may stop the garnishment.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Sutton Station
Durham, NC 27713

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I really appreciate all of y’all input so far, but I have another question. My child was home schooled as I mentioned previously. I do think I’m kinda lost in the system, but since she was home schooled I don’t think Raleigh knows about her graduation. What type of document do I need to prove her graduation and how do I go about getting it? I assume since she has begun Community College my ex had to present something to the college to prove my daughters credits, right?

Thanks!!!

Ken Miller

I would think so…It would seem logical to think that she would still receive some sort of diploma to show she completed course requirements for graduation in NC.

Is there an agency or organization that supervised your daughter’s home schooling? I would start by contacting them to see if you can get some proof of the graduation.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Sutton Station
Durham, NC 27713

I would like to know if child support payments can be made to a child after she reaches the age of 18.

Thanks,
Ken Miller

Ken Miller