Child wanting to divorce parent



Greetings. My advice is that you file a child custody action and ask for the child to be placed in your care and ask the court to order a psychological evaluation of the child.

You are not going to be able to terminate her mother’s rights or divorce her mother…as in North Carolina divorce is between parents, not parents and children. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have a daughter, 17 years old. Will be 18 in January… living under terrible emotional conditions with her mother. She has left home several times only to be bullied into coming back. What options does this child have to break free of her mother? We have discussed her terminating her mothers rights, divorcing her mother… are not sure of what direction to take? Any assistance is appreciated…