Civil Summons - What do I do w/ it?


Dear rrodr:

Greetings. What is the civil summons for? If it is for divorce, do you have any property, cash flow needs, or children?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I was served with a civil summons last week and do not want to appear in court. My soon-to-be ex is trying to get a court date asap due to him having to go back out of country and I’m ok with that. The clerk of court stated that I could write a statement waiving my 30 days and have it notarized.

How do I do this or what do I put on this waiver? Any help would be appreciated.