I am attempting to collect information to get my fiancé back on track with his child support. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. He has two children by two different mothers. I’m pretty sure both are in the Guilford County/Greensboro area.
With his son, 1, he has an agreement in place to pay $70 a week. The mother wants nothing from him but money and he has only seen this child a couple times. He has tried to contact her since moving out of state and she won’t even pick up the phone. I am not sure how far in arrears he is…is there a way (online/phone call) to find out? (Still researching the eChild Support www.ncchildsupport.com website.)
With his daughter, 2, he is in the process of a divorce so the amount has not yet been decided. He was served last March, but they have to wait a year for the divorce to be finalized. The mother lives with her boyfriend and they both have an income. Due to location, my fiancé doesn’t get to see his daughter either. Although he would like shared custody (perhaps summers with us), it is impossible at the moment. Unfortunately, the Ex won’t even send pictures…and has blocked him from her MySpace/Facebook out of spite.
Meanwhile, he has been out of work since July and living with me in the Caribbbean. I have been supporting him and cannot afford to support his children as well. As far as I’m concerned, that is not my responsibility.
My suggestion to him is #1 insist on a paternity test for his son to make sure it is his son. IF it is, #2 have his arrangement re-evaluated and modified now that his financial circumstances have changed and he will be paying for two children instead of one. Or #3 is it possible to give up his parental rights and any financial responsibility toward the son?
How should we go about this (especially given the long distance)? We plan to go back to NC for the holidays. Do we need to set up a court date for this or is it a matter of filing paperwork (that we can do from here)?
We can deal with his daughter’s child support when the divorce is finalized in March. I assume we will have to return to NC for a court date for that. Hopefully by then he will be working again, but if not…does it just build up until he can pay? Can they detain him at the airport and throw him in jail for lack of payment or just suspend his license?
Any other wisdom/suggestions?