Consultation After Thoughts



Thanks for all the advise thus far it has really helped me thorugh this rough stage of the year. I went to a consulation last week and the suggestion was to do a consent order and then do the divorce once i hit the 1 year separation mark next year. Now i know consent orders need to be mutally agreed upon and can change base on factors like ( other person getting a job , married again , etc etc ). How successful are consent orders? I was told that its the cheaper option and since there is a child involved it would benefit that as well since its a one and done thing.Where as ligiation or full court is tiresome and expensive. My main concern is the child support calculator b/c what are the other factors in child support? is medical bills count?


Negotiating a consent order out of court without filing any litigation and going through the litigation process is very common and oftentimes very successful. This way essentially keeps your case out of court because you handle all the details of the consent order by negotiating with the other side and sometimes in a mediation.

The advantage to this way is that the cost is much less expensive and you have an agreement that is easier to enforce (and sometimes modify) by it becoming a court order.

Child support is based on the gross incomes of both of the parents with reductions for the parent paying for the child’s health insurance among other things. Uninsured/unreimbursed medical bills are not counted in the child support worksheet. Instead, they are treated as a separate item whereas each parent agrees to pay a percentage of the uninsured/unreimbursed medical expenses on top of the monthly child support obligation. The same would go for extracurricular activities.

If you haven’t already, check out our Child Support Calculator to see what child support would look like in your situation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.