My husband has filed for divorce and an attorney has helped me to file a 60 day continuance. I will not have the money to pay the attorneys retainer for several months. Can I request another continuance? Also, if I am not able to get a lawyer and my husband gets the divorce, can I ask for alimony later? I have a great case for alimony, I am told, but I just cannot afford to do it right now.


What you have filed is not a continuance (that is for a set hearing), but an extension of time. You cannot seek another extension at this time and must file a formal response to preserve your alimony claim and claim for equitable distribution, otherwise you will lose your rights to the same once the divorce is granted.