Court ordered visitation child doesn't want to go

it sounds to me like if your ex takes your son to the beach as an unsupervised visitation he will be in violation of the court order.

But if you do not allow him to go it will be a violation also. I would suggest that you get in a call to your attorney or the clerk of court’s office about what the ex needs to do to prove that there is supervision during this visits, and what you are legally bound to do if there is no supervision. It may be that you have to wait until the visit actually occurs to know whether or not there is supervision at the time. He’s not violating a court order with plans…

If you do not follow what the court order says then you are in violation and could be held in contempt. I would reiterate to your ex husband that the visitation needs to be supervised. Give your son a means to contact you and notify you if the visitation is not supervised. If he fails to follow the court order, the police will probably assist you in regaining custody of your son.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex assaulted me, protective order included my children as well. I currently am awaiting court date for 1 year order. In the mean time, my son expressed a desire to see his father so during a hearing, a judge granted specific dates for supervised visitation. One has taken place. The next one is this weekend. My son has stated that his dad wants to take him to the beach and he knows if they go to the beach it will be unsupervised (by an aunt) He has specifically said he doesn’t want to go! What can I do? Will it be a violation of the court order if he doesn’t go? Do I need to try to get this in front of a judge before this weekend?