Credit Rating Destroyed

You may want to talk to a criminal attorney about credit card fraud charges, if you did not authorize her to open an account in your name. Additionally, you should gather as much evidence as you can for your ED trial to show that all of the charges were your wife’s and not yours. However, the problem you may have is that some of those charges may be for things that were used during the marriage. You would be responsible for at least half of that marital debt. However, it sounds like you have pretty good grounds for asking the court for an unequal distribution of that debt in your favor.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

About a month prior to our separation date, my wife completed an unauthorized credit card transfer of $8000 from her card to a card she created in my name. I did not know about it untill just a few days prior to us separating. I kept up with the payments the best I could. But being out of work 6 of the last 15 months, and having to get a job at half the salary I was making before, I have not been about to make payments on it for about 5 months and it is seriously affecting my credit rating? The ED trial should come up in about 2 months, but by that time, the Credit Card company will charge off the account. Is there any relief I can seek? Can I recover any damages for what she deliberatly did to me?