The will follow the State of North Carolina guidelines

The CSE will follow the guidelines which is the amount the calculator gives. CSE has a similar “calculator” on their web site where you would actually fill in the amounts on a form, but is’t basically the same information.

You can only deviate (increase or decrease) from the guidelines by agreement between you and the other parent…and that is only if it has not gone to court or through CSE. The courts will follow the guidelines unless reason to deviate is shown and approved.

They will follow the guidelines.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If I file for child support through CSE (I live in Cabarrus county and work in Mecklenburg), can I expect them to follow the child support calculator, or can I expect them to lower that amount?