Custody question


I live in Durham County.
I had a daughter out of wedlock, but listed the father’s name on her birth certificate. She shares his last name.
My daughter is now 8 years old. It has been 7 years since we have had any contact with him. I believe he now lives in NY State, but do not have any contact information.

I have been married for 5 years to the man my daughter thinks of as her father. My husband would like to adopt my daughter.

What process would be involved for her biological father’s parental rights to be terminated? Would I be required to find him and have him release those rights voluntarily, or does 7 years of abandonment count?



You will need to have a judicial determination that the parental rights of the father should be terminated. I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in juvenile matters to ensure you take all of the proper steps.


Any recommendations?


Please contact our office by phone for a referral.