Dad needs help in sc

Unless DSS or a court can prove that you are unfit, and as long as you are proven to be the biological father of the child, you will be entitled to child custody.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I had an encounter with a lady 12 years ago, she became pregnant. When she had the baby she wrote me and said she didn’t want anything to do with me or anything from me. I moved on. My sister was friends with her and kept in touch with her and the child. About 4 years ago my mother became angry with me and told my present girlfriend that I had a child in NC. Her and my sister started threatening me, saying I needed to send them money for the child (without the mother knowing). They would not give me any info on where the mother was other than in SC. Now, my sister has the child in her custody, has the mother paying her child support and has DSS on me to establish paternity and pay her child support. I told her I will take my daughter and support her myself. She says there is no way I will ever get custody. Is this true? Am considering hiring a NC attorney since she managed to take her from SC. Child’s mother has two small kids and may be a drug user. I am financially secure, have excellent credit etc. Have three small kids and a girlfriend of almost 12 years. Help! Thanks.