Daughter's Family Medical History

My daughter’s father does not know anything about his dad’s side of the family because apparently there was some kind of terrible incident between his father and mother and they divorced. His mom got remarried and they literally don’t speak of this man or that side of the family. She will not even share what happened or why they never speak of him. The whole story is super flimsy and from what I’ve heard, his dad didn’t pay child support so they kept the kids from him…something that would never fly today.

I want to be able to fill in my daughter’s family medical history and I’d like to know if she has any cousins or any other family from her dad’s side. It’s just her dad and grandma and aunt right now on his side. Do I have any recourse? Can I ask the judge at our permanent custody hearing to require him to share this info with me?

No, this is likely not something a judge would order as it goes beyond the scope of a custody claim, especially if the father does not know the information himself.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

The father knows the first and last name of his bio dad and that’s all I am asking for. I wonder how else I can get this information then.

You can ask the judge in a custody hearing to order the father to relay the first and last name of his biological father, but it is not guaranteed that the judge will submit to this request.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.