Disgusted

Just went through mediation myself…mediation was a lot better than what could be potentially a blood bath if you took it to court. My son is 5 and he is with me Tuesday through Thursday of the next week and Thursday through Tuesday with Dad…(9 nights w/me, 5 with the other parent). I’m not sure yet if this is good. (I am in one of the situations where Dad fills the kid’s head with malicious things like “Don’t you want to stay with me ALL the time”, and “Mommy gets your more nights thatn Daddy–that’s not fair”, and my son comes home and tells me. (Real good for a child, right?) Maybe b/c your child is only 3, they will get used to it at an earlier age and feel it is routine before he realizes that this isn’t “norm” per se…Anyway…good luck and GOD BLESS! It is one of the hardest times I’ve ever been through!

quote:
Originally posted by craig
hi is a 4 night 4 day a week for the mother and 3 nights 3 days for the father a fair schedule for a 4 year old son if both parents are fit and the schedule works best around each parents work schedule? what is the general opinion of courts/judges in a schedule of this type? the mother would have him sunday eve.-thursday eve. the father would have him thursday evening -sunday evening. also is mediation a successful forum in resolving issues such as these? the only disagrement on this schedule is over 1 night. thank you in advance.
quote:
Originally posted by mylawyerisawful
Just went through mediation myself....mediation was a lot better than what could be potentially a blood bath if you took it to court. My son is 5 and he is with me Tuesday through Thursday of the next week and Thursday through Tuesday with Dad...(9 nights w/me, 5 with the other parent). I'm not sure yet if this is good. (I am in one of the situations where Dad fills the kid's head with malicious things like "Don't you want to stay with me ALL the time", and "Mommy gets your more nights thatn Daddy--that's not fair", and my son comes home and tells me. (Real good for a child, right?) Maybe b/c your child is only 3, they will get used to it at an earlier age and feel it is routine before he realizes that this isn't "norm" per se...Anyway....good luck and GOD BLESS! It is one of the hardest times I've ever been through!
quote:
Originally posted by craig
hi is a 4 night 4 day a week for the mother and 3 nights 3 days for the father a fair schedule for a 4 year old son if both parents are fit and the schedule works best around each parents work schedule? what is the general opinion of courts/judges in a schedule of this type? the mother would have him sunday eve.-thursday eve. the father would have him thursday evening -sunday evening. also is mediation a successful forum in resolving issues such as these? the only disagrement on this schedule is over 1 night. thank you in advance.

Dear craig:

Greetings. Yes, it sounds like a fair schedule to me. Remember that each custody schedule is unique as the family that ends up agreeing on it. The court must look at each family’s situation.

Yes, mediation is a good forum for resolving custody issues. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.