Disparity in income

You have a complicated question. Answering it without fully understanding the details of your situation would be unfair to you. I strongly encourage you to sit down with a lawyer and get your questions answered after fully explaining your situation. Some lawyers offer a free consultation. Some lawyers, through the NC Lawyers Referral Service, offer a $30 consultation. You really need to get some advice that is specific to your situation.

Here is the Lawyer Referral Service website - ncbar.org/public/lrs/search.aspx

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Is it possible to use significant disparity in income as a substantial change in circumstance to modifiy alimony? Also, what would be “practical” in determining “unconscionable disparity” in income? For instance, the income disparity between my ex and myself is over 20,000 per month. Is this not considered “unconscionable”? Thanks.