Divorce - Abandonment/Custody

She is entitied to half of the property, more or less. He needs representation now. The primary thing you can do is help him hire counsel.

The transacations involving the child’s bank account will all be addressed in property division.

Her abandonment does not affect her entitlement to the property.

Good luck to your brother and we are sorry for his loss.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Recently, my brother has been sued for divorce. He is recovering from the death of his son who was involved in an automobile accident. His wife abandoned him, emptied out the house and relocated with his two sons, leaving only a note. His wife had used the bank account of one of the sons to filter money. My twin brother is heartbroken with the loss of his son, and the cruel manner in which his wife left him. He is requiring guidance and legal representation. He has property but is cash challenged. I am prayerful that you might know an attorney who can assist him in this matter. My brother is a family man and this additional assault by his “wife” is extremely stressful. She is wanting half of everthing he owns. Is she entitled to half under the circumstances of her abandonment and her deceitful actions? They were married for over twenty years. My brother is so upset and depressed and would appreciate representation and wisdom in this issue. I am also concerned that she placed thousands of dollars in the bank account of the son who was involved in the auto accident before his death. Thank you for any guidance that you might suggest.