Divorce decree states child support but none was ever received and my son is now 21


I divorced my husband back in 2008 and our divorce decree said he should pay child support, but I have never gotten any money from him and my son just turned 21. Is there any way to collect child support from him now? Just an aside note, he has only had jobs that pay under the table for the last 16-17years. His first ex-wife and I would find some information on him and share with each other over the years.

And if I can’t collect the money, can my son? Maybe sue him if we ever find him? I don’t know.

Thank you,

You have ten years to collect on a court order so you could potentially recover some of the child support, but not anything that was due more than ten years ago.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.