Divorce Paperwork, Red Tape & Hoopla!

I was in the same boat in 2005. I couldn’t find anything free. I stumbled across one site that had all states listed and chose NC. For the most part it worked great. It cost me $20 to download, and it probably saved me well over $1000.

really it depends upon your spouse as to how much a lawyer will cost you. If they fight, it’s more expensive. If they do not, it can almost be free if you just use the downloadable form and make sure to have it looked over by an attorney, for like $100.

I got ripped off 2x by attorney’s in the past year. I won’t mention names, they are NOT at the rosen firm I’ll say that much. I don’t understand why the law is so complex as to require the average person needing to hire an attorney who charges 200$/hour for not doing all that much. I have come across a couple awesome lawyers, that I will gladly pay that much to, but alot of them IMHO, are really no better than me, a computer engineer who knows a little about the law…

The home page of this web site has forms that you can dowload and print. There is a sample separation agreement so you can actually type up your own. You would only then need to have signatures notorized and file.

Dear LM in NC:

Greetings. I am sorry, but there is no such form. What you need is a separation agreement - and that typically is customized for each couple. Also, separation agreements are generally not filed in the courthouse. Instead, a short form called a Memorandum of Agreement is filed with the Register of Deeds in the county where you reside to ensure that everyone can prove you are legally separated.

Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need a form that I can download and print off. My husband and I have agreed to everything in our separation including child support, custody and property. All I need is a form that we both can sign and I can fill in the blanks and file at my county courthouse.

This shouldn’t be as hard as it is amounting to…The hard part is over!

I called my county and two surrounding counties, and they said that they do not supply these forms, but that I could find them online. I do not wish to drive all over NC to find this form if I don’t have to…can you help?

Ready To Get This Over With.