Dear sting:

Greetings. Does your friend have a court order for domestic violence? She may be able to move from the state - but it depends on what her court order says, how this will affect visitation, and what her husband does with the courts to try to keep the chidlren in state. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My friend has just recently separated from her husband. She was placed in a womens shelter and has just recently moved into an apartment with her 4 kids. Department of social services is involved cause there was verbal threats and abuse directed at the kids and my friend. As of right now she has the kids and her husband gets to see them, but only while being supervised. My friend has the right to deny him visitations as of right now. The question that I have is can she move out of the state of North Carolina with her kids? Thanks