Domestic Violence

That is correct, you can only receive court appointed counsel if you are facing criminal sanctions. In some rare instances you can be appointed an attorney in a civil matter, usually when you are facing jail time for contempt of an order issued by a civil court.

If someone had criminal charges pending against them as a result of domestic violence and a civil action as well, they need to be aware that their admissions in civil court can and will be used against them in criminal court.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been told that domestic violence cases are handled in the family court, at least for my case. Is this considered a subcategory of civil court? I have also been told that the courts will only appoint a defense attorney in a criminal case. Is this true? If so, and the family court only handles civil cases, then I guess defense attorneys are not appointed for family court cases. Is this correct?

Please advise. Thanks.