Economic Rebate - Who gets the $300 per child

there is nothing you can do by way of the IRS. Can you request this from the father?

I am not a tax attorney, however my understanding is that the rebate may be based on 2007 taxes, but is a credit against 2008 taxes. IF that is the case and 2008 is your year, your spouse may owe you for the decreased tax benefit.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My understanding is that it is NOT a credit like they did in 2001. Everyone seems to go back and forth but it seems from everything i’ve read lately that this time it’s different.

I have been listening to the president about the upcoming Economic Stimulus Package where taxpayers would get $300 for each child. I have researched and found it will be based on the tax returns for 2007. In my case, my ex and I alternate claiming my daughter each year. She lives with me 365 days a year and I have full custody of her. Since this is his year to claim her on taxes, he will get the check from the government for her. Is there any way to change that? I feel that I should get the money since she lives with me and only sees her dad a few times a year. I am sure I am not the only parent in this situation. Any suggestions?