What is the legal course after you are divorced and one spouce recieves $ from a period that they were married? Should the check be split between the two paty’s?


Once you are divorced you have no legal recourse to get any assets that were not included in any separation agreement or divorce decree.

If you are referring to a tax refund check that you and your ex got from filing a joint tax return then the answer is yes you are entitled to that money. Unfortunately getting it may be another matter. Being entitled to something and being on the right side of the law does not often equate to a fast and easy compensation


If equitable distribution has been completed and there is no provision regarding that sum you are out of luck unless there was a disclosure paragraph in the separation agreement, or if the check is issued in your joint names.