Egregious Child Support Amount

Good Afternoon,

My child support amount for 4 children that I have 50% of the time is coming out to about $5k/month. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong.

I make ~$235k/year (very new salary)
She makes just over $100k/year (this is double her old salary as of early this year)

We have a nanny that I pay $16/hr for 40hrs/week. She’s requested an adjustment to $20/hr. I also pay $250/month for the kids healthcare premiums and approx. $500/month for extracurriculars.

Maybe I’m just griping, but I am curious why this is set this way. She makes double the state median income, I have the kids half the time, and I’m still paying her (more so the nanny) ~$60k year total? Once I’m in a single tax bracket, I’m pretty sure that means she’ll be making more money than me despite me having a much more demanding job.

Are you both sharing the nanny equally between your two homes? How have you agreed to pay for the nanny? Is the nanny used for childcare outside of work hours?

Work-related childcare does not have to be included in the child support worksheet. It can be paid outside of the monthly child support obligation. This would particularly be the case if either of you are using the nanny for childcare other that work-related care. You and your wife would agree to each pay the nanny a percentage (50/50 or a percentage that is equal to the percentage of your combined monthly gross income).

Extracurricular activities expenses are not included in the child support worksheet. These are NOT extraordinary expenses.

Extracurricular activities are paid by an agreed-on percentage which is almost always 50/50, and the extracurricular activities must be mutually agreed upon in advance.

Using Worksheet B for joint physical custody and excluding the nanny expenses, your child support obligation would be $1,286.56/month based on the information you provided.

These are the numbers I used to input into the Worksheet:
4 children
$8,333.33 income for her
$19,583.33 income for you
730 overnights for both of you (365 days in the year x 4 children, divided equally between both parents)
$250 health insurance premium cost for you

Using Worksheet B for joint physical custody and including the nanny expenses at $20/hour for 40 hours a week, your child support obligation would be $251.73/month based on the information you provided. The $251.73 is assuming that 100% of the nanny’s care and cost is for work-related childcare and that you are paying 100% of that care.

In addition to the same numbers as above in Worksheet B, I also included $3,466.67 to you for work-related childcare ($20/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year / 12 months).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.