Email Fair Game?

I was given a MacBook for a present and it was registered in my name. During separation my ex went in to my cloud and read emails that went back over a decade and some of those most recently were email exchanges between myself and my lawyer. I had repeatedly asked my ex to stop invading my privacy and even found out that she diverted my texts to a Fitbit or I watch that I didn’t give her permission to do so. Is this illegal or fair game because I had once upon a time given her access to the laptop?

Her accessing your computer if you had previously given her access to your computer and email and never changed your password would be acceptable. If she hacked into your computer or email and did not have your password, that would likely be illegal.

If she diverted text messages in a way that was not possible without knowing a password to a computer, iCloud, or other account, then that would likely be illegal.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

And what if I asked several times for her to stop going into my accounts? Would that be considered illegal and an invasion of privacy? It seems as though even when I changed passwords they still synced with all devices and my email account would have only been accessible through entering via my iCloud, which is the linked to the computer and registration.

If you clearly communicated to her that she no longer had your permission to access your devices or accounts, then that would strengthen your claim that she illegally and impermissibly accessed your devices, especially if you could prove the communication to her (for example, if it was in writing).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.