Hacking emails

If you obtained the passwords illegally through some hacking assistance program, then I do not believe those emails are submissible in court. I think if you invaded privacy without their knowledge, then it is inadmissable (and frowned upon). I could be wrong, but I think that’s what I remember from an earlier post here (though I cant find it to show you).

On a side note. If she does not have PROOF POSITIVE to her allegations, then don’t worry about what she says. In fact, no proof could mean she could be guilty of defamation of character (of you). To make personal allegations (like abuse or whatever), she’s going to need some hard proof if she wants to use it in court. Emails aren’t proof. Other folks who think badly on you aren’t worth your time worrying. The truth comes out in the end…so don’t worry.

I am not sure if this behavior is illegal or not, but I am sure that this is not a good idea. I would advise you not to continue to engage in this behavior.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Yes hacking is illegal and is a criminal offense. Even if you guessed their passwords or found it under the keyboard (bad place to hide your password, by the way)and accessed their email accounts it is considered a criminal offense.

any real world examples of people hacking ex’s email and got court date?

I don’t have any real world examples, but that does not mean that they do not exist. This is not an area of the law where the rules have been conclusively established.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

my ex wife is trying to sue me so i cant have as much time with my kids. she has been saying alot of lies and stuff about me in her emails to lots of people and is getting so many of them angry at me for stuff i can prove i didnt do. she also talks about making up stuff to make me look bad in some emails to her friends. i got her email password and her boyfriends email password and looked in their emails without them knowing about it. that is how i found out about alot of the stuff like them conspiring to make stuff up about me.

is it illegal for me to have gone in there email accounts? can they sue me for that if they find out i did it? and how can i have those emails where she admits to making stuff up subpeoaned?

i don’t want nobodys opinions about how evil i am that i looked in those emails… i just want to know the laws.