Emails

How does he read your emails? Don’t you have a password to even get into your email?

Is there something in the e-mails that you don’t want him to see?

Change your passwords.

Even if you don’t have anything incriminating in your emails, he still shouldn’t be reading them. Change your password. Does he allow you to read HIS emails??

You need to change your password, and password protect your cell phone. If your husband is reading your emails prior to your reading them (interception) those emails could be deemed in admissible in court, however if he is reading emails that you have stored they are likely admissible. Even as a married person you do have a right to privacy.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

He reads them deleted from my hard drive, my myspace account, my facebook account, my work emails, my text messages and even looks up my phone logs. He thinks I screw every one I am in contact with and will take any statement I make and turn it around to sound dirty. One friend sent a couple of inappropriate emails and I deleted them…which he also found. He also reads things I send my girlfriends and daughter. He also created a fake myspace profile to talk to me through…pretending he knew me and confusing me by talking about things only someone who knew me would know. He didn’t come clean until I asked him if it was him.

He also is on medication, and not going to the counselor anymore. He is a sick man mentally.

No, in the past I have never read his things…but did this last Sunday. I found out he has been talking to, visiting and sending gifts to an old girlfriend. He has his computer locked, but I’ve never done anything but trust him to not invade my privacy.

Can he use things he found on my private emails against me? because someone made suggestive talk towards me…can that be used against me?

What are the issues in your case? If you do not have children and neither of you will be seeking alimony all of this is irrelevant, and won

My husband reads all of my text and emails without my knowledge or permission. Is this okay or considered to be something illegal. We are in the process of separating and I feel angry that he without my okay is invading my privacy.

[quote=“lifeistough”]He reads them deleted from my hard drive, my myspace account, my facebook account, my work emails, my text messages and even looks up my phone logs. He thinks I screw every one I am in contact with and will take any statement I make and turn it around to sound dirty. One friend sent a couple of inappropriate emails and I deleted them…which he also found. He also reads things I send my girlfriends and daughter. He also created a fake myspace profile to talk to me through…pretending he knew me and confusing me by talking about things only someone who knew me would know. He didn’t come clean until I asked him if it was him.
[/quote]

I am not a lawyer.
The standard is the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
If he had access to the hard drive on the computer you were using, then he is reading stored communications, which are likely admissible. He doesn’t have to read them with the email software.

However, if he was using a keylogger to capture the information as you typed it, then I don’t think so.

The ECPA cares if the information gets intercepted when it is being transmitted (i.e. telephone call, typed), or when it is stored.