Ending child support part 2


Dear spursgal:

Greetings. If that is the case, with the clerk of court, my advice is that you do the following:

  1. Send a letter to your ex and let them know that child support ends with the payment on ____ date.

  2. Contact the clerk of court and ensure they know that your last payment is coming and that will tie up your file.

Otherwise, you should just stop paying. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hi, I want to clarify my first post. My step-son is all ready 18, he was held back in the 6th grade, he will turn 19 before he graduates in June. We pay child support to Raleigh each month by sending a personal check in, the child support is not withheld by employer. Our case is handled by the clerk of court (child support) so how will they know to end it automatically? I’m a bit confused I did read a post about ending the child support AFTER I posted the first time, should have read a few pages first. I guess I just need to know what is going to happen and what we need to do ourselves?