Ending Child Support


Dear spursgal:

Greetings. Child support ends/terminates automatically when the child reaches age 18, unless the child is still in high school and then child support will terminate when the child graduates. When I say automatically, that means that you just stop paying.

Now, if you are paying through child support enforcement (meaning that your wages are garnished) then I would take the pre-emptive action of calling the agency and ensuring that they have your termination date correct. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband and I are on our last year of paying child support for his son from his first marriage. There hasn’t ever been a problem with with ex, thank goodness. My question is does the support order automatically expire when he graduates or do we have to go to court to show a judge the diploma or proof of graduation? Do we have to have his ex come like you do for modification? Just wanting to know what we will need to do.