Support pymnts


Dear george:

Greetings. Child support payments are supposed to automatically terminate when your child reaches age 18, as long as he/she has graduated from highschool. If your child had not graduated from highschool by the age of 18, then child support is supposed to terminate when your child graduates from highschool or age 20, whichever occurs first.

Now, it is supposed to happen automatically, but I do not know how that works with the North Carolina Child Support Enforcement Agency. I would suggest that you contact them when your child nears the termination date.

If your child has already reached the appropriate age/graduated from highschool, then you may have to talk to the NC Child Support Enforcement Agency and/or file a complaint against your ex for the return of those funds. Action now is better than acting after everything is done. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


does support pymnts stop automatically upon childs 18th birthday?
and, will monies deducted from pay check automatically return to my paycheck, or do i have to petition the state?