Ex is not payed,,,help

Dear Vicky:

First, I would send a letter reminding him that he needs to pay these funds. Next, I would re-evaluate the words “I cannot afford a lawyer” and replace those with “I cannot afford to not retain a lawyer” if the letter does not work.

If he owed you these funds pursuant to a separation agreement, the action you would file would be a breach of contract claim. If he owed you these funds pursuant to a court order (or a consent order), then you would be able to file a Motion to Show Cause.

I suggest that you send him a letter and drop him a couple of e-mails, reminding him to pay. Thank you and I hope he becomes a good guy overnight and pays you the funds he owes. Best of Luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex and I seperated 2 years ago this august,I moved back to my home town in Indiana to establish my residence and after 6 months I filed for divorce,my husband works for a large global company that furnished his lawyer at no charge to him,after 2 years of legal hassle I gave in,went back to northcarolina and signed the seperation/divorce papers. I really had no choice,I could not afford to fight him any longer. I gave him everything he asked for,at that point I was exhausted,financially and mentally,he agreed to pay me my share of the equity in our home,in the legal papers it states that I was to be paid by April 10,2003,I have yet to see the monies and he is avoiding me,what can I do,I can not afford a lawyer,please help.

Vicky Peter