Ex Left with Child, 12 Yrs,Now Wants Child Support

You absolutely should respond to this complaint and you can file a complaint for custody of the child. Your situation is complicated legally and in order to find out the next steps you really need to meet with a lawyer who can assess all the facts in your case.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Confusing Story, I will try to simplify.Ex wife dissapeared with a child, over 12 years ago. We were divorced legally. No child support or visitation was ordered as I was led to believe the child was not mine. 3 years ago I was asked to submit for DNA testing which I did. I never heard back re: the results of the paternity testing so, I assumed I was not the father of the child as I had been told by her. My name wasn’t on the child’s birth certificate & she was married to someone else at the time of the conception & birth (we married later).
Now, child support enforcement in NC via WVA, states the tests shows I am the father. Lost results have been found. I have to file a response. Since she is my child I want visitation, possibly even custody, as her mother is mentally ill (per her family she is bi-polar)What should I do now? Am I responsible for 12 years worth of child support/medicaid in another state for a child I didn’t know was mine? Can I file for custody in my response? What is the best way to handle this situation? I am not trying to get out of paying but, it is not fair that I have a 12 yr old girl, that believes another man is her father (also per the family) And it is not fair that I am being hit with this all at once. I have a step-daughter (GF’s daughter) the same age & I know adolescence can be hard. Child Support Enforcement told me I didn’t have to answer the Civil Commencement against me but, I am afraid not to. They have also set me up an appt to bring in all my financial records (self employeed). I don’t know what to do, please advise me. I do not have the money for a lawyer. Also, my girlfriend is half owner of our business & she is worried that the court will base child support on our businesses profits, not just my share. My GF is very supportive of me getting visitation &/or custody arranged. She thinks the girls would be great together, in a stable and loving home. Please advise. Should I respond to the civil commencement? Should I file for custody? How do I make sure my GF’s half of the business is protected? I saw an article about a man who had to pay child support, despite the child not even being his. I want to be fair to the child but I can’t afford thousands of dollars in arrearges!