Filing for Child Support 12 Years after a Divorce

Dear starbase75:

Greetings. Do you know if your mother or father had an existing child support action when you were younger?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

They agreed to share joint custody and the parameters where very open; there weren’t certain amounts of time that we had to be at each parents house or the agreement would be violated. There was no arrangement court order or the like regarding child support.

Dear starbase75:

Greetings. Well, then it sounds like your mother will be unlikely to prevail on any child support issue. Now, as far as mental anguish, you would need to speak with a personal injury attorney for that. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am curious if my mom can file for back child-support even though it’s been over a decade since my parents were divorced? In that time my mom has taken care of basically all expenses except for the medical insurance which my dad has paid. My brother and I have lived with both parents during that time, my brother still does, for the most part, and I haven’t in almost five years. Would it be possible to file for Child Support, or perhaps file a suit against my dad and his wife for mental anguish based on the years of mental abuse that we have faced at the hands of my step-mother? Or, is the case to far removed from the events or not based in any kind of law that would allow for restitution? Thank you for your time.----- Trevor