Filing for divorce with no response from spouse


My husband and I have been separated for our year and he has signed a divorce settlement agreement that states when we were separated and that we cooperated in splitting any assets, debts, etc. I am now filing for my divorce petition but now he’s told me he doesn’t want to deal with the courts or respond to the divorce papers at all. As long as he receives them from a third party and that is documented will my divorce still go through? I think he’s just trying to prolong things. Does he have to respond or can I complete the divorce without him? Especially since he already signed the settlement agreement…


If you get service on him, you should be able to proceed easily without any action on his part. You should review our divorce guide for more information.