Harrassment via text

What are the NC laws pertaining the truth to harrassment via text message or phone calls… When my child is in the fathers care and my child is left with his family members or babysitter, the order states both parties have direct access and the rights to childs activites, medical professionals, education professionals etc (there is whole 3 paragraphs on this) we have joint legal physical.
Therefore I reach out to the babysitters inquiring
about my child in how she is feeling, please send me her hw assignment, what are the activities and plans for her that day, basically healthy queries and some suggestions that are best for my childs needs with manners. I never get a response and the father is manipulating high conflict therefore he is saying this is grounds for harrassment to contact his family. He tells me they have no use for me and not to contact them for anything, they wish to not speak with me.
Can you please let me know if this is grounds for harrassment?

I am placing all this information under their alienating behaviors and violations to the court orders.

Everything I am reading regarding NC harassment etc. Shows I am not harassing.
Thank you.

Harassment must be repeated intentional conduct that has no legitimate purpose and torments, terrifies, or terrorizes the recipient.

Based on what you’ve described, your messages do not rise to the level of harassment. However, joint legal custody is for decision-making for major decisions. A judge would likely find your messages regarding how your child is feeling, homework assignments, activities, and manners to not fall under the purview of legal custody and instead be seen as unnecessary, overly burdensome, and interfering communication.

Your joint legal custody part of your court order likely states that you are both entitled to equal decision-making and equal access from third parties. Assuming this is true, this means you are entitled to get school information and homework assignments directly from the school, but questions about activities, how your child is feeling, etc. would not fall under your legal custody terms of your court order unless it specifically states so.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.