Harrasment, custody and support

You mention Virginia. Does your situation have a connection to North Carolina?

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My name is Latesha. I am currently having a lot of trouble and have no idea what to do. Here is my story: My husband and I have been seperated(legally) for almost 2 years. When we seperated, I waited too long to get child support because he said he would pay for daycare. Well I ended up getting help from the child support agency here in Virginia. I was awarded $816.00 monthly for our two children. I was evicted from my apartment because I could no longer afford to pay the high rent. My paycheck could not cover rent and daycare since i had to wait for the child support to start. My kids father immediately went and filed for physical custody of the kids. We still share joint custody. He was awarded this and the child support was stopped. Now my sister has moved to the area and got an apartment in her name for me. The girls will have their own room and a stable place to live. I now want shared physical custody as before i got evicted and reopen my child support case. My soon to be ex is bipolar and is not taking medication for it. He harrasses me at work, at my parents house accusing me of making threatning phone calls to him and his PARENTS! He is scaring me cause with his illness, he has made up some story that im trying to harm him and I certainly am not. My kids are unhappy and I feel guilty for that. Im back on track now, but I want to know if I will be able to share physical custody of my children? Also, can the court make him seek help for his illness? I dont want to try for sole custody cause kids do need to be a part of their father’s life!? But can a stipulation be put on his visitation in the fact that he gets help? Also, I am going to record the phone calls i get from him to use as proof in court of his behavior? Is this legal? I just want my 5 year old twin girls to be happy as kids, and not telling me on the phone that they have to make daddy feel better!!!WHAT CAN I DO? Our girls need to be happy, but I feel like I dont have any rights anymore cause he has the physical custody of the girls for right now? HELP!!!

latesha g.