Health Insurance Amount

Going through my 2nd divorce. I have 4 kids. 2 from previous, 2 from current. I pay the health, dental and vision insurance for me and all 4 kids. My wife already pays for her own health insurance.

So my question is, what amount do I enter into the child support calculation for health insurance benefits?

1. The full amount ($390/mo) ?
  2. The full amount minus the fraction that covers me. ($312/mo) ?
  3. The amount that would cover my children from the current marriage ($156/mo) ?

#3. You should only enter the costs that you are paying in health insurance for the children of your current marriage (only for the children that are the subject of the child support worksheet).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you. And I was told by a friend that went through divorce, that to be more accurate, I am supposed to subtract out the amount that health insurance would be if I am single, which is $160/mo. Is this true? If so, the amounts for the children would be less.

If you are able to determine how much the children’s portion of the health insurance is, then you use that number. So if you only cover yourself and 2 children, then you would use the difference between the cost of you only and you + children. You would need to divide this number in half since you are covering 4 children but only 2 are subject to the current marriage and child support worksheet.

Alternatively, you can determine the children’s portion from the current marriage by taking the total amount you pay per month, dividing by 5 (4 children + you), and multiplying by 2 (2 children for the current marriage). This is also an acceptable way to determine children’s health insurance cost when the above method cannot be calculated.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.