Health insurance cannot afford!

Cannot afford health insurance for my child. She lives with Mom in Greensboro nc. I do not have health insurance and as you know a lot of people cannot adford it. My x wife does have health insurance through her job? Couldn’t she put my daughter on it?

Yes, it is possible that your ex-wife could add your child onto her medical insurance policy unless however, you are court ordered to provide health insurance for your child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

It was in our divorce decree I was to pay insurance. Do not have the income to do it. My job does not offer insurance. What can my x do to me. She is very unreasonable. Been married twice and kids moved to their Dads from previous marriage. If I could pay it I would. Her income is more than mine I have bought clothes and pay 400 child support. Which is more than I have to by income. I love my daughter!

You can be court ordered to obtain and maintain health insurance for a minor child if health insurance is available at a reasonable cost. A reasonable cost is defined as coverage at a cost to a parent that is not more than 5% of that parent’s gross income.

If you are court ordered to provide health insurance for your child but it is not available to you through your employer and obtaining a private insurance policy for the child would cost you more than 5% of your gross income, then you cannot be required to provide the health insurance. Your court order may address this issue. If it does not, you may need to file a motion to modify the child support order due to the fact that health insurance for the child is no longer available to you at a reasonable cost.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

All my divorce papers say is the father is required to pay health insurance. Plus half of medical expenses. How do I petition the court to modify the support agreement. I have no access to health care that’s not astronomical in price. Way over 50 percent of income. Thank you

If you have a court order, you can modify the child support order when there is a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child that has occurred since the date the order was originally entered. NC has a pre-printed form for motions to modify child support: Motion and Notice of Hearing for Modification of Child Support Order.

Anna Ayscue

If x has moved to Greensboro NC and I live in Ga.
The divorce was in hoke county or Raeford NC where do I file this?

You need to file the motion in the same county in which the court order was filed.

Anna Ayscue