How to deal with a narcissist

I’m a client and dealing with my spouse whom is a pretty bad narcissist. Not the rage per se we have all heard of but most of the other traits. Any guidance or behaviors I should maintain to ensure the dark cloud doesn’t manifest itself to something greater? Thanks in advance

In terms of a separation and divorce, you can expect the negotiations to be difficult and time-consuming, and often end up in litigation unfortunately.

The narcissistic spouse will usually want to have the last word, so it can be good strategy to negotiate in a way so as to let the narcissistic spouse think they are getting a “win” or think the settlement was their idea instead of yours.

Check out two articles on our website about narcissistic spouses:

How to Deal with a Narcissist: Living With Someone with NPD

The Symptoms of Narcissism: How to Spot a Narcissist

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Feel empathy for you!!! I hear you. Mine is a master covert narc who I started divorcing a couple of months ago. Have a bunch I could say/write a book LOL. Don’t let him push your buttons, don’t react, there are ways to respond verbally in brief without letting him/her get the upper hand. Be organized with your documentation to disprove showing their pattern. Have leverage which is not disclosed right off. etc etc etc. (Scary times for me, I know)