How to divorce an abusive spouse without letting him know your address or location

How can you divorce an abusive spouse who may not be in same state or out of the country? He has refused to grant a divorce and we fear retribution if he knows others, especially the court, knows our situation. One minor is involved other child above 18 and they are afraid of him too.

You may find assistance with North Carolina’s Address Confidentiality Program through the North Carolina Department of Justice. Also, check with your local domestic violence agency for help and resources.

If you have not already, you may also qualify for a domestic violence protective order.

You can file for divorce in NC in the county that either party lives. If your husband does not live in NC, you will have to file in the county where you live.

You do have to provide your address in court filings. However, if you are unable to gain assistance through the Address Confidentiality Program, a lawyer on your behalf would be able to substitute their business address as your address.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.