How to stop child support


I forgot to include that the order is through CSE and the payments are made to Centralized Collections.

(I got a type mismatch error when I tried to edit the original post.)



Yes you can stop payments when she reaches the age of 18.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


My obligation to pay child support is almost over. Do I have to file anything to terminate support or can I just stop paying it? The specifics are as follows:

  1. Child will be 18 in a few months.
  2. She does not attend secondary school (she dropped out years ago).
  3. I pay by check, not through income withholding.
  4. I was never married so there is no separation/divorce agreement.
  5. The support order does not include any information about when support is to end.

Thanks in advance for your help.