Termination of child support


You should be able to stop making payments. You have the right to ask the court for a termination, but regardless your legal obligation has ended at age 18 or high school graduation whichever is later.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax
email: angel@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am seeking information regarding when child support payments stop. My eldest daughter graduated from high school last week and turns 18 in October. According to my divorce decree dated 1994: “… until the minor issue reaches the age of eighteen years or graduates from high school, whichever event occurs last or until further orders of this Court.”

My question is; do I need authorization and/or guidance from the court or do I simply stop making that child support payment.